1. Talk, talk, talk. If there is any ‘secret’ or tip for learning a language it’s that you need to talk as much as possible. Reading and listening might be useful, but there really is no better way to improve your fluency by speaking!
2. Studying a language as intensively as possible is the best way to learn. It’s much more beneficial to study 3 hours a day for a week, than 5 hours a week for 3 weeks, even though it equates to the same amount of study time.
3. One of the most useful things to do is learn to most 100 common words in the language. These can easily be found on the internet. The reason for this is that in most languages many, many words are used over and over again to form the bulk of most speech.
4. Thinking as much as you can in your target language is a great way to practice. This doesn’t mean you have to be thinking about politics or philosophy. You can simply just think of the names of food or basic everyday items as you are going about your business.
5. Try and supplement your learning experience with as many materials as you can. This could be listening to the radio, reading children’s books and newspaper or chatting with people online. The more exposure you get to the target language the better.
6. Understanding the different phases that you will go through is key to staying motivated to being successful. First you’ll understand basic things, then you’ll think you know nothing. This cycle will continue as you progress to each level of learning a language, But you’ll get there in the end!
7. Enjoy the process. Though it can be frustrating at times. The more you can try and relax and enjoy the experience the easier and fruitful it will be!